Dr. Welderufael B. Tesfay
+49 (0) 69 / 798 34706 (Phone)
E-mail & Home Page:
- Information privacy and security in online services
- Detecting and quantifying information privacy disclosures
- User-centric privacy settings/policies
- Data protection regulations (e.g., the EU GDPR)
- Applied machine learning and NLP
- Pervasive and mobile computing
Welderufael (aka Welde) is a senior researcher at the Chair of Mobile Business & Multilateral Security at Goethe University Frankfurt am Main. He holds a Ph.D. degree in computer science from Goethe University Frankfurt, a Master of Science in Computer Science and Engineering with specialization in Mobile Systems from Luleå University of Technology, and Bachelor of Science in Computer Science and Engineering from Mekelle Institute of Technology (MIT-Ethiopia). Before the completion of his doctoral study, he worked as research and teaching assistant at the Chair of Mobile Business & Multilateral Security at Goethe University Frankfurt am Main. Previously, after accomplishing his MSc thesis at ABB Corporate Research in Västerås, Sweden, he joined the network division of NEC Laboratories Europe in Heidelberg as intern and an Erasmus scholar where he worked on the practicalities of the ANDSF 3GPP standardization specification for data offload during times of mobile network congestion. In the time between his BSc and MSc studies, he worked as R&D engineer mainly focusing on applied cryptography, smart cards and electronic identities. His doctoral study lays at the 'symbiosis' of user-centric approaches to information privacy protection, data protection regulations (e.g., the latest EU GDPR), and applied machine learning & NLP techniques. He endeavors to design and develop "intelligent" tools that empower the user in making informed privacy-related decisions wrt her personal information disclosures by also taking user rights regulatory requirements into account.
- Harborth, D., Hatamian, M., Tesfay, W., Rannenberg, K.. 2019. "A Two-Pillar Approach to Analyze the Privacy Policies and Resource Access Behaviors of Mobile Augmented Reality Applications", Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS), pp. 5029-5038, Maui, Hawaii.
- Welderufael B. Tesfay, Jetzabel Serna, Kai Rannenberg. 2019. "PrivacyBot: Detecting Privacy Sensitive Information in Unstructured Texts. ", In proceedings of The Sixth International Conference on Social Networks Analysis, Management and Security. Granada, Spain., IEEE.
- Tesfay, Welderufael B., Nastouli, Dimitra, Stamatiou, Yannis C., Serna, Jetzabel. 2019. "pQUANT: A User-centered Privacy Risk Analysis Framework", In Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Risk and Security of Internet and Systems (CRiSIS). Hammamet, Tunisia, Springer.
- Niklas Paul, Welderufael B. Tesfay, Dennis-Kenji Kipker, Mattea Stelter and Sebastian Pape . 2018. "Assessing Privacy Policies of Internet of Things Services", 33rd International Conference on ICT Systems Security and Privacy Protection -- IFIP SEC 2018, Springer.
- Nakamura, T., Kiyomoto, S., Tesfay, W., Serna, J.. 2017. "Easing the burden of setting privacy preferences: a machine learning approach", In: Communications in Computer and Information Science , https://www.m-chair.de/images/documents/publications/Rannenberg/CCIS2016.pdf, Springer.
- Alexandros Kostopoulos, Evangelos Sfakianakis, Ioannis Chochliouros, John Sören Pettersson, Stephan Krenn, Welderufael B. Tesfay, Andrea Migliavacca, and Felix Hörandner. 2017. "Towards the Adoption of Secure Cloud Identity Services", Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Availability, Reliability and Security (ARES 2017), ACM.
- Toru Nakamura, Welderufael B. Tesfay, Shinsaku Kiyomoto, and Jetzabel Serna. 2017. "Default Privacy Setting Prediction by Grouping User's Attributes and Settings Preferences", International Workshop on Data Privacy Management (ESORICS 2017), https://www.m-chair.de/images/documents/publications/Rannenberg/DPM2017.pdf, Springer.
- Nakamura T., Kiyomoto S., Tesfay W., Serna J.. 2016. "Personalised Privacy By Default Preferences - Experiment and Analysis", International Conference on Information Systems Security and Privacy (ICISSP), https://www.m-chair.de/images/documents/publications/Rannenberg/ICISSP.pdf, SCITEPRESS.
- Welderufael B. Tesfay, Jetzabel Serna-Olvera. 2016. "Towards User-centered Privacy Risk Detection and Quantification Framework", 8th IFIP International Conference on New Technologies, Mobility and Security (NTMS 2016), IEEE.
- Welderufael B. Tesfay, Jetzabel Serna, Sebastian Pape. 2016. "Challenges in Detecting Privacy Revealing Information in Unstructured Text", Society, Privacy and the Semantic Web - Policy and Technology (PrivOn 2016) at the International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC) 2016, CEUR-WS.
- Pape S., Serna-Olvera J., Tesfay W.. 2015. "Why open data may threaten your privacy", Workshop on Privacy and Inference (Prinf15) co-located with KI 2015 - The 38th German Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Dresden, September 21-25, 2015.
- Samuel Idowu, Desta Haileselassie Hagos, Welderufael B Tesfay, Abiola Famurewa, Juel Rana, Kare Synnes. 2013. "Welderufael Berhane Tesfay Welderufael Berhane Tesfay NexTrend: Context-aware music-relay corridors using NFC tags", Seventh International Conference on Innovative Mobile and Internet Services in Ubiquitous Computing (IMIS), 2013, IEEE.
- Welderufael B Tesfay, Markus Aleksy, Karl Andersson, Marko Lehtola. 2013. "Mobile computing application for industrial field service engineering: A case for ABB service engineers", Local Computer Networks Workshops (LCN Workshops), IEEE.
- Welderufael Berhane Tesfay, Todd Booth, Karl Andersson. 2012. "Reputation based security model for android applications", IEEE international conference on Trust, Security and Privacy in Computing and Communications (TrustCom), IEEE.
- Andreas Happe, Stephan Krenn, Miryam Villegas Jimenez, Juan Carlos Pérez Baún, Florian Thiemer, Welderufael B. Tesfay, Luigi Rizzo, Tobias Pulls, Alberto Zanini, Andrea Migliavacca, Silvana Mura, Alexandros Kostopoulos, Andreas Abraham, and Felix Hörandne. 2017. "CREDENTIAL Deliverable 2.3 Cloud Identity Wallet Requirements ", https://credential.eu/publications/d2-3-cloud-identity-wallet-requirements/.
- Charlotte Bäccman, Andreas Happe, Felix Hörandner, Simone Fischer-Hübner, Farzaneh Karegar, Alexandros Kostopoulos, Stephan Krenn, Daniel Lindegren, Silvana Mura, Andrea Migliavacca, Nicolas Notario McDonnell, Juan Carlos Pérez Baún, John Sören Pettersson. 2017. "CREDENTIAL Deliverable 3.1 UI Prototypes V1", https://credential.eu/publications/deliverables/d3-1-ui-prototypes-v1/.
- Nicolás Notario, Juan Carlos Pérez Baun, Welderufael Tesfay, Florian Thiemer, Stephan Krenn, Christoph Striecks Andreas Happe, Andreas Abraham, Felix Hörandner, Evangelos Sfakianakis, Simon Roth, and Pritam Dash. 2017. "CREDENTIAL Deliverable 5.1 Functional Design", https://credential.eu/publications/deliverables/d5-1-functional-design/.
- Fatbardh Veseli and Welderufael B. Tesfay. 2015. "Privacy-ABC Technologies, Personal Data Ecosystem, and Business Models", https://abc4trust.eu/download/R2.1%20-%20PDE%20and%20ABC%20Review%20V1.0.pdf, ABC4Trust project deliverable.
- Deibler, D., Engeler, M., Krontiris, I., Lehmann, A., Liagkou, V., Pyrgelis, A., Schlehahn, E., Stamatiou, Y., Tesfay, W. and Zwingelberg, H.. 2014. "D7. 3 Evaluation of the Student Pilot", https://abc4trust.eu/download/Deliverable%20D7.3.pdf.
- Souheil Bcheri,Erik Björk, Daniel Deibler, Göran Hånell, Jimm Lerch,Maksym Moneta, Monika Orski, Eva Schlehahn, Welderufael Tesfay. 2014. "D6.3 Evaluation of the School pilot", https://abc4trust.eu/download/Deliverable%20D6.3.pdf.